Celebrating another year of my favorite girl

Last year’s photoglut for Macy’s birthday was so much fun that I’m doing it again. My favorite girl turned 11 yesterday, and after a jam-packed weekend of celebrating, we’re all exhausted but smiling at all the fun we had. image

My girl has a unique blend of steely determination and all-encompassing kindness. She may well be an “old soul” based on the compassion and insight she possesses. She pays attention to the little things, like having flowers waiting for me when I get out of the hospitalIMG_3356

and giving me a week off from cooking dinner — the best gift I’ve gotten in a long time!IMG_0750

She’s the type of kid who makes it easy to be a good parent: she does her homework as soon as she gets home from school, brushes her teeth without being asked, keeps her junk-food intake in check, regularly tries new and healthy foods, and keeps an eye on the clock so she can respect her bedtime.

I know…kinda sickening, isn’t it? Don’t be too jealous; I do have a 13-year-old boy at home, too.

As conscientious as she is, she’s equally wacky. For career day at school, her choice wasn’t a veterinarian or a teacher. She wanted to be the lead singer for KISS. I’m sure her teachers were very impressed.

She used the same costume for Halloween, which made it easy on me!

IMG_3826

IMG_0071

Miss Wacky insisted on wearing a rainbow afro wig when she went to see Madigascar 3 at the movies. Just like the zebra character in the film, she rocked it!IMG_3061

Goofing with her piggie is her favorite pastime.DSC_6159

IMG_0165Although cutting a rug is one of her favorite things to do, too, and she’s an excellent dancer.167189_1746379908546_4716390_n

She has a keen interest in ok serious obsession with lotto scratch cards. I have no idea where she discovered scratch cards, but she’s asked for — and received — a few for all the recent occasions.IMG_0742

Along with scratch cards, my favorite girl has developed a love of cooking and spends a lot of time in the kitchen. Her latest savory creation: customized pot pies, so that each member of the family could get exactly what they want. IMG_0756

She’s earned $800 from baking cookies, brownies, and pies in the last few months for a class trip to Washington, D.C., this summer.563534_4268875367041_352268049_n

There were cookies for all the holidays, including Halloween550366_4863010660052_1799773870_n

and she perfected the M&M cookie. Yum!23902_10200139726802835_2046760115_n

She even baked her own birthday cake this year, and it was beyond delicious.IMG_0779

She loves to read and carries a book pretty much everywhere she goes. IMG_0112

IMG_3602She has her own sense of style and loves to strike a pose. IMG_0250

DSC_6106_2This girl makes a splash everywhere she goes.IMG_3266

She has a smile that can crack your heart right in two. IMG_0268

IMG_3725

IMG_3297_2

IMG_3584_2

IMG_3023

This time last year, she still looked like a little girl.IMG_2426

All that is changing, however; this year’s birthday dinner found a young lady on the receiving end of the Happy Birthday song. image-1

That’s ok; she’ll always be my little girl.

23 Comments on “Celebrating another year of my favorite girl”

1. David Benbow says:

Happy birthday, Macy. You’re a rainbow rockstar!

2. mmr says:

She’s lovely, just like her mom! Thanks for the Kiss career day laugh– that is GREAT. Maybe that girl can cure cancer someday. Go Girl!

• Aww, thanks Marcie! She’s pretty great. If she doesn’t cure cancer, she can cater lunch and bake treats for the scientists & researchers working on the cure, or entertain them in her KISS costume!

3. Eddie says:

Your favorite girl is a true original. You could have an entire blog dedicated just to Macy stories.

4. Jody Hicks says:

What a great tribute to such a special girl! Thank you, thank you!

5. That girl is seriously adorable!

6. What a sweetie! Happy Birthday to her and thanks for letting us get to know her better!

7. Barb Fernald says:

Happy Birthday Macy! I love seeing all the baking photos. Most impressed with those individual pot pies. (And the pan they were in!) What a nice tribute to a special daughter from a special mother. Thanks for all of the photos!

• Glad you enjoyed, Barb, and you’ll be happy to know that my pot pie had lobster instead of chicken! perhaps one from Bruce’s trap, caught in Maine and flown to my grocery store in Texas.

8. Catherine says:

Wow. Happy birthday to your AMAZING daughter!! She’s beautiful too.

(Thanks for sharing all this joy with us, too.)

9. Drink2that says:

Just gorgeous! Does she seriously have a pet pig? I can never show my girls those pictures or they’ll want one for sure!

• Yes, she does have a pet pig! Piper is a fantastic pet: loving, affectionate, smart, independent, low maintenance, not smelly and doesn’t shed. She’s been the subject of several blog posts; go take a look.

10. elizabeth connolly says:

Loved the pictures. She is a special girl. Love you Macy. Mrs.C

11. Jennifer Hayes says:

She’s awesome! Thanks for sharing =)

12. Lauren says:

What an absolutely delightful kid! happy birthday!