A wild goose chase

Disclaimer: I’m not dogging Walgreens. I love Walgreens. I spend a lot of time there. I’m just reporting the facts.

My doc called me in a prescription of Tamiflu, and my Walgreens was all out of it. So the pharmacist, who I happen to know quite well by now, called a little before noon to tell me he was transferring it to the Walgreens at Highway 6 & Williams Trace, a few miles away, and that it would be ready in a couple of hours.

Meanwhile, I was dying a slow, painful, cough-ridden death, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I dragged my sorry carcass to the garage, got in the car, and drove to my Walgreens, to get the prescription and take it to the other Walgreens myself. I couldn’t wait another couple of hours. Remember me, the impatient patient?

It took an enormous amount of effort to accomplish this, and I shudder to think at how frightful I looked. I did change out of my jammies, but hadn’t brushed my hair in two days. Couldn’t care less. Just wanted to get the drugs into my ailing system as fast as humanly possible.

My buddy the pharmacist says, Oh I must have just missed you. I left a message on your answering machine at home to tell you we transferred the Tamiflu to the Walgreens at Lexington and 1092, not Williams Trace.

Good thing I didn’t head straight to Williams Trace.

He advised me to go straight to the Lexington store and look as pitiful as I did in his store. He thinks he’s pretty funny.

So I dragged myself back into the car, drove to the other store, and hauled my sorry self to the pharmacy counter, holding my breath in hopes that they did indeed have my drugs and that they were ready.

Have them, yes. Ready, no. That’s ok, because it gave me time to do a little Valentine’s Day shopping. By the time I stocked up on candy for my Valentines and Propel for myself, my drugs were ready, and I kid you not, I ripped into them right there at the counter (after I paid) and sucked the first dose down then and there. Kinda reminded me of when I dry-swallowed a Xanax at the Taylor Swift concert a few weeks after I had my mastectomy. True story.

Desperate times, and all.

I came home and crashed out for nap #3 (all in the same day, egads), and am only now starting to feel marginally better. I still have a fever, and the nagging cough is still nagging me. The body aches are better but the headache is still plaguing me, no doubt a result of the nagging cough.

Tomorrow will be better.

Repeat 1,000 times.

3 Comments on “A wild goose chase”

  1. Feel better girl. <>


  2. Ed says:

    I hate to think what would have happened to some poor, clueless pharmacist if you had gone straight to the walgreen’s at 6 and Williams Trace. Sleep away as much of the day as possible and hasten the approach of the weekend when you will be well and able to enjoy the warm sunshine. Oh, and Nyquil, lots of Nyquil.

  3. Jody Hicks says:

    We are so sorry to hear that you’ve been so ill with the flu. I found it to be so debilitating that I can’t imagine how in the world you managed to even get out of bed, much less chase down your drugs. Hope Trevor and the kids are all better and taking care of you for a change.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s