Back among the living

I’m happy to report that today is a much better day than yesterday’s barf-o-rama. I lost count after the puking reached double digits, and admit to a moment of panic when I realized I hadn’t kept anything down all day. Not even a pretzel. I did learn that there is quite a hierarchy in grossness of what comes back up — some food items are way more disgusting than others when vomited up. And that’s all I’m going to say about that. By 9 pm I decided to throw in the towel and just go to bed. I won’t say I slept especially well, but I didn’t throw up any more so I’m calling it a victory.

The surgery was successful. Very successful. My doc achieved something I honestly didn’t think was possible — he sculpted, tucked, cut, and stitched to create exactly the look I was hoping for, but didn’t think would happen.  The shape and symmetry are both very much improved, and instead of an elliptical uniboob, I now have two distinct and rounded boobs.  My port is gone, and the ever-thoughtful doc even injected a little bit of fat into the port-removal site because sometimes after the device is removed, the skin collapses a bit to create a divot. But not for me, thanks to my forward-thinking surgeon. How nice is that?

I’m pretty battered and sore, and the port-removal site hurts worse than I expected, but I’m happy. I even told my doc this morning that as much as it pains me to admit it, he was right all along. He was right, I was wrong: he was indeed able to fix my messed-up chest, and his artistry certainly prevailed. I never expected the DIEP surgery to result in one-and-done results; I knew that revisions, plural, would be necessary. But I had fallen into the abyss of wondering if things would ever look right again. I can’t tell you how happy I am to report that I’m no longer in that abyss, and all is right in my world.

I’ve got to lay low and be very still for a while, as everything that was sucked out and relocated settles in. Thanks to everyone who checked on me, and thanks for all the prayers and good wishes sent from near and far.

Advertisements

9 Comments on “Back among the living”

1. Eddie says:

Welcome back.

2. Jan Hasak says:

I’m so glad you are now in recovery. Thanks so much for posting and letting us know how it went. Prayers work wonders!
    XOXO,
    Jan

3. David Benbow says:

I’m glad to hear you’re on the mend and satisfied with the results. It’s very big of you to admit you were wrong. I don’t recall you ever saying that to me.

4. Julie A says:

I am soooo glad you are happy with the results! Take it easy and allow the healing to begin!
    Julie

5. mpwynters says:

So great. Glad you are on the mend.

6. Mandi says:

Yay! Glad to hear things went well!

7. AnneMarie says:

YOU stay still. Keep the pain under control and bask in the glory of what a GREAT surgeon can do for our bodies AND our emotional well being. If you are happy now, you will be THRILLED in a month!!!

Sending love,
    AnneMarie

8. Jody Hicks says:

Wonderful news! So thankful you have access to such good care – and that includes not only your surgeons but also all your dear friends who have been helping out for a year and a half! We love you!

9. elizabeth connolly says:

You are quite a fighter,Nancy. I’m so happy you are out of the abyss and happy with the results of your doctors artistry . Now, give your self some time off before you jump back into life. You’ll be killing them on the tennis court soon. Love Bettyanne